Jim Aronoff is a Partner in the Disputes & Arbitration team at FRA’s New York office. Jim joined FRA in 2019 after more than 35 years in the financial services industry serving as an attorney, investment banker and consultant, where he gained keen insights into the custom and practice, and expectations and obligations, of his clients from a broad perspective.
Jim provides advisory, litigation support, and expert witness services to law firms and financial institutions in connection with complex commercial disputes related to finance and the financial markets. He also provides risk management, portfolio valuation, and transaction oversight services, working closely with banks, hedge funds, specialty finance companies, asset managers, secured lenders, insurers, securitization trustees, investors and other stakeholders during the course of his career.
More specifically, the capabilities and services Jim provides to clients include:
- Valuations, investigations and forensic reviews relating to capital markets transactions, public and private securities, and to numerous types of commercial, residential and consumer assets, whether secured or unsecured
- Advice and guidance with respect to securitizations (including CMBS, RMBS and other ABS) or other structured transactions (including CDOs, CLOs, and other structured products) to investors, servicers, trustees, originators and lenders
- Technical and industry expertise required to understand and evaluate the relevant issues pertaining to complex commercial litigation and other disputes, including internal discussions in advance of litigation, settlement discussions, potential regulatory investigations or inquiries, and arbitrations and mediations
- Support throughout all stages of an engagement, including aggregation and analysis of large data sets, assessment of facts and strategic options, and provision of expert reports and testimony
- Design and implementation of transaction oversight, regulatory compliance and risk management services, including valuation, benchmarking and evaluation of the quality and performance of asset pools and/or securities, performing operational reviews and compliance audits of related parties and service providers, and identifying and remediating potential impediments to expected performance
- Leadership and strategic oversight with respect to the remediation, workout, resolution, and/or disposition of assets (including the provision of valuation and asset sale advisory services) in connection with complex structured finance arrangements, including distressed, sub performing, and nonperforming assets and securities
Jim obtained his undergraduate degree in Economics and Political Science at Yale, and a Juris Doctor at Cornell Law School, with a Specialization in International Legal Affairs.