Derek Patterson is a Principal at FRA’s London Office and head of its Nordic business. He has in-depth experience supporting complex investigation and dispute resolution matters, often with a cross-border element, and compliance reviews.
Derek has been recognized in Who’s Who Legal Investigations, Consulting Experts, Thought Leaders and Global Elite. Sources describe him as a “highly sought after forensic expert” among peers, with “standout experience advising clients on large and complex fraud and bribery investigations”. He is recommended for his “excellent analysis and superb delivery of expert witness testimony” and “quick grasp of a business’s issues”.
Derek has worked on a variety of complex frauds, bribery and dispute matters usually involving cross-border elements. He has also conducted a wide variety of compliance program assessments, internal audit reviews, controls testing, and related third-party reviews. His representative experience includes:
- Supporting Telia Company with their response to bribery allegations arising from their Uzbekistan business, and with disgorgement and pecuniary gain analysis in its $965 million FCPA settlement with the DOJ, the SEC, and the Netherlands.
- Assisting Rolls-Royce in the civil aerospace component of its settlement with the SFO and DOJ.
- Leading the post-acquisition investigation of a Swiss marketing business for a global media group, identifying accounting fraud and kickbacks which supported a post M&A dispute with the vendor.
- Leading an investigation of a complex €2 billion investment and accounting fraud for a Dutch real-estate group, and supporting a subsequent High Court claim in London, a regulatory review in Jersey, and shareholder litigation in Austria.
- Co-leading FRA’s compliance program testing of a global aerospace corporation as part of the independent compliance monitor team appointed under a DPA.
Prior to joining FRA, Derek was the Group Treasurer for easyJet plc, and raised over $3billion in aircraft finance including operating leases and secured loans, and managed and accounted for end-lease and maintenance obligations. He was a senior member of the MBO team, which bought and sold the low cost airline “go fly” at British Airways plc, and worked in Ford Motor Co in financial control and internal audit roles.
Derek completed his training as an accountant and auditor with PricewaterhouseCoopers and holds a Bachelor of Accountancy degree from the University of Glasgow.